Saturday, April 18, 2009

"Garage Sale" Moment

The first time you do anything can give you a feeling of overwhelming uncertainty. Around our house, we like to call it the "garage sale" moment. Have you ever had it? You know, it's that feeling you get when you haul all of your junk out on to your driveway at 5:30 am in the hopes of someone coming to buy the stuff. It's that feeling you get when your neighbors are walking out to get their Saturday morning paper and they look over at you and your junk. You get that feeling, is anybody going to come and buy this stuff?

That is the feeling I am talking about when you do something for the first time. Do you remember some of your firsts? The first time you drove? The first day at your job? The first time you realized that you were responsible for this little newborn baby as you return home from the hospital?

Well, this is the first time that I have ever blogged. My cyber-space "garage sale" moment. I will try and use this spot to communicate what John Piper calls my "Holy Ambition." As some of you know, my "Holy Ambition" is reaching out to people about the love of Christ through marriage and family.

Well, back to the "Garage Sale" moment. We know how the story ends. Can you believe what people buy at garage sales? Yes, people do buy junk! Sometimes in life we need to take the first step and haul the junk in our lives out in the open, to get rid of it. That is what God is asking us to do. He wants for us to get rid of the sin and pain in our lives. And guess what, He already bought our junk through the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus. Don't be afraid of your firsts. Step out and trust Him.

1 comment:

  1. Overwhelming uncertainty is exactly what I can relate to when deciding when and how to go about turning in my 2 week notice of resignation. First time for everything right. My m.o. was to just walk in let you know I'm done and leave, this time was entirely different. The best of what I feel is that my testimony of Gods will in my life has been strengthened. I asked God to help me provide for my family, not give me a new job, or more money just the ability to addiquitely provide for my babies (Elena included) and he did with this new job.
    As to your last paragraph....have you ever emtied the trash and found some straglers that are in the trash can but not the bag? well I can compare it to we as christians get used to taking out the big items of trash (sin) in our lives, things in the bag but allow the straglers or small things to build, then cover them up with more big things and wonder where the stench comes from. My encouragement is ask God to open those small problem senses and once identified beg Him to rinse you clean. Its refreshing!!

    In Christ,
    Carlos

    ReplyDelete